Useful Information for WAV Users

WAV help and assistance . . .

Blue Badge Blue badge symbol for vehicle used by disabled person.

If you’re disabled or have a health condition that affects your mobility, you can apply for a Blue Badge.You can also apply for a badge if you care for a child with a health condition.

If you get certain benefits you’ll automatically be able to get a Blue Badge. The application will be straightforward.

It’s still worth applying if you’re not automatically eligible, but you’ll need to have very severe problems moving your legs or arms. The application will be more complicated, because you’ll have to describe your mobility problems in a lot of detail.

You don’t need to be able to drive to apply for a Blue Badge, unless you’re applying because of problems with your arms.

You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you:

  • are registered as blind
  • get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your assessment – check your decision letter if you’re not sure
  • get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability

If you are NOT automatically eligible, you might still be able to get a badge. You’ll have to fill in an extra part of the application to show why you need one.

You should do this if:

  • you have problems walking that are permanent, or that your doctor says are likely to last at least a year
  • you can’t use your arms
  • you’re applying on behalf of a child aged over 2 who has problems walking, or a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle because of a health condition

Driving Mobility logo.

The charity Driving Mobility accredits a network of 20 independent driving assessment centres with over 70 outreach facilities, which provide guidance to drivers with restricted mobility. Service users either self-refer or are signposted for assessment from the DVLA, Motability, the Police or NHS – so the most appropriate means of driving can be recommended. For information on how to arrange an assessment, driving tuition or advice on any mobility related query, please contact your nearest Mobility Centre by clicking on this link – Find a Centre.

Vehicle tax exemption

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

You can only have one vehicle tax exemption at any one time.

To apply online or at the Post Office for your free vehicle tax, you will need a DLA404 Exemption Certificate which can be obtained by calling the DWP Helpline on 0345 7123456

VAT on WAV’s

A wheelchair accessible vehicle is VAT exempt if the vehicle is for the personal use of a disabled person and the vehicle has been adapted to suit their disability e.g a ramp if a wheelchair or scooter is to fit into the vehicle. If the vehicle is for commercial purposes e.g. a taxi or a Care Home, then VAT is charged on top of the purchase price at 20%.

All of our prices presume that the purchaser is entitled to the usual VAT exemption for disabled individuals.

VAT on Vehicle Repairs

It is a little known fact that if as above, the vehicle is adapted for the use of a disabled person, there is no VAT charged on the repair of the vehicle. Because most motor dealers and garages do not deal with disabled people on a regular basis, they are not aware of this. The HM Revenue & Customs website will give guidance on this.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a benefit available to people aged 65 or older, who have care needs at home. You don’t have to receive professional care to be eligible for this benefit, and it’s often the case that a care -provider is a spouse or family member.There are two different rates available, depending on the level of care needed.

  • Lower rate
  • Higher rate

People who claim the lower rate often need help with washing and dressing, and the higher rate reflects greater care needs during the day and night.

Carer’s Allowance

If you care for someone for 35 hours a week or more, and they are in receipt of certain benefits, you could get Carer’s Allowance at a weekly rate of £62.10. If you are eligible, you will also automatically receive National Insurance credits. It’s worth noting that Carer’s Allowance can affect other benefits that you and the person you are caring for receive. So you should factor in the possibility that these may reduce or be taken away.


Not sure which vehicle would be best?
Phone us for help and advice on
01824 707773

Mobility Nationwide’s exceptional quality control...

Help using your wheelchair accessible vehicle...

Logo of Fish insurance. Mobility Nationwide uses trusted partner Fish Insurance to protect your Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. Please Contact Us for further details.